- In brief
- Project motto, vision, mission, values & objectives
- The Council of Europe's Future Cultural Route
- Association of Local Governments "The Gediminids' Way"
- Czech Rupublic
- Project development chronology
A district in the Grodno Oblast in western Belarus. The city of Lida is the administrative center of the district (53°53'N 25°18'E).
Population, district: 135,096, according to the 2009 census (Belarusians, 51.38%; Poles, 35.28%; Russians, 9.35%; Ukrainians, 1.68%).
Population, Lida: 97,692 (2009).
Area, district: 1,566.74 sq km (604.92 sq mi).
Established, Lida: 1323.
Signed the Memorandum of Cooperation with the Association of Local Governments "The Gediminids’ Way" on Sept. 15, 2013.
site of the Lida District Executive Committee:
In the 14th century, the lands of Lida were inhabited by a mixed population of Litvins, Yotvingians, Dregoviches, Aukštaitijans and other tribes.
The town of Lida was founded in 1323, when Grand Duke of Lithuania Gediminas launched construction of a brick castle as fortifications against raids by Tartars and Teutonic Knights. In the 14th–16th centuries, Lida was one of the GDL's five largest cities. After the death of Gediminas in 1341, and then the division of Lithuania into principalities, the town became the capital of the Lida Principality and the seat of Gediminas's son Algirdas. The principality fell into possession of other Gediminids as well – Grand Dukes of Lithuania Kęstutis, Jagiełło (Jogaila) and Vitautas.
Other settlements on the lands of Lida mentioned in the 14th c. include Dubrouna, Belitsa, Ostrov and Dokudovo.
The Lida Cavalry Company (Banner) was known to participate in the Battle of Grunwald (July 15, 1410). In 1413, the Lida Banner was included in the just-formed Vilnius Voivodeship of the GDL. As a result of the 1565/66 administrative reform, the Vasilis and Ejsis Viceroyalties of the Trakai Voivodeship were attached to the Lida Banner, and the Lida Powiat was thus formed.
Monuments from the epoch of the Gediminids and GDL that have survived in the Lida District:
- Lida Castle (1330)