Lutsk

Administrative center of the Volyn Oblast. Located on the Styr River in northwest Ukraine (50°44′52″N 25°19′28″E).

Population: 215,150 as of June 1, 2013 (Ukrainians, 92,5%; Russians, 6,2%; Belarusians, 0,5%; Poles, 0,2%; Jews, 0,04%).

Area: 41.6 sq.km (16.2 sq.mi).

Founded approx. in 1000 ad.

First record: 1085.

Member of the Association of Local Governments "The Gediminids’ Way" since its establishment on May 10, 2013.

Lutsk is a destination of the Via Regia, a Cultural Route of the Council of Europe.

Official site of the City Rada (council):
www.lutskrada.gov.ua/en

Tourist site:
www.visitlutsk.com/en/


Castle of Liubartas

Lutsk was part of the GDL from 1340 as the Volyn-Halych Principality. The first rulers were Duke Liubartas (the youngest son of Gediminas), and from 1358, his son Theodore.

In 1387, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania Władysław II Jagiełło, conquered the city and later handed it over to his cousin, Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas (Vytautas the Great).

Vytautas the Great reigned over Lutsk from 1388 through 1430. He made Lutsk his second residence after Vilno (Vilnius). The city became the GDL's de facto capital.

In 1429, the Congress of Lutsk – a conference of European monarchs – was held in the Castle of Liubartas. A wide range of issues were discussed, including defense of Europe against Turks (Ottoman Empire), church union, and bestowing the title of king on Vytautas.

In 1569, in consequence of the Union of Lublin, Lutsk and entire Volyn were placed under the reign of Poland.

Monuments from the epoch of the Gediminids and GDL that have survived in Lutsk:

  • Castle of Liubartas (14th–16th c.)
  • Tower of the Czartoryski (14th–15th c.)
  • Holy Protection Church (15th c.)
  • St. Stephen’s Armenian Church (1427 or 16th c.)
  • Dominican Monastery (founded in 1390)