- In brief
- Project motto, vision, mission, values & objectives
- The Council of Europe's Future Cultural Route
- Association of Local Governments "The Gediminids' Way"
- Czech Rupublic
- Project development chronology
Administrative center of the Ostroh Raion, Rivne Oblast, in Western Ukraine at the confluence of the rivers Horyn and its tributary Vilia (50°19'45"N 26°31'11"E). Located 47 km (29.2 mi) south of Rivne, the oblast's capital, and 16 km (10 mi) from the Ostroh railroad station. Historical region: Volyn.
Population: 15,658 as of Oct. 1, 2013.
Area: 10.9 sq.km (4.2 sq.mi).
Established: before 1100.
First mentioned: Aug. 30, 1100.
Member of the Association of Local Governments "The Gediminids’ Way" since its establishment on May 10, 2013.
Official site of Ostroh:
http://www.ostrohtravel.com (under construction)
Ostroh was first mentioned in 1100 in the Hypatian Codex as a fortress of Volynian princes. It was part of the Principality of Galicia–Volhynia from 1199.
In the mid 14th century the town became the residence of the Ostrozki princes – a family that has given Ukraine its famous warriors and commanders, Maecenases and enlighteners, builders and Orthodox Church patrons. A renowned representative of the family is Vasyl-Kostyantyn Ostrozki (1526–1608). He initiated the establishment of the Ostroh Slavic-Greek-Latin Academy, which was Eastern Europe's first higher education institution. In Ostroh, famous printer Ivan Fyodorov published the first Church Slavonic Bible (1581).
Ostroh received the Magdeburg rights on July 29, 1528, from Sigismund I the Old – King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania of the Jagiellonian dynasty.
In the late 16th c. the Ostroh population was 5,000. That means, only Lviv, Kyiv, Kamyanets-Podolsky and Bila Tserkva in Ukraine exceeded Ostroh in population. In the city were 16 craft guilds, and three fairs were held annually. The Ostrozki princes received numerous privileges from the state for their city, including the right to free trade at the Ostroh fairs.
Monuments from the epoch of the Gediminids and GDL that have survived in Ostroh:
- Ostroh Castle (14th–16th c.)
- Tartarian Tower (16th c.)
- Lutsk Tower (16th c.)
- Round Tower (16th c.)